Back to blog

Parents struggle to squeeze in bedtime read

Jonathan Warren

02.02.2011

News

Jonathan Warren
sb10064105ad-001Sixty per cent of the 2,000 parents interviewed in a recent survey reminisced about the bedtime stories read to them as a child. The nation’s favourite tale from childhood, according to the survey by telecoms firm TalkTalk, is Enid Blyton’s Famous Five, followed by The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. It seems that this tradition of bedtime storytelling hasn’t quite followed through to the present day, however, with parents citing busy schedules as the primary obstacle. 52 per cent surveyed said they read bedtime stories to their children, while the remaining 48 per cent said their lives were too hectic to do so. Interestingly, eight out of ten surveyed agreed that children’s development can be boosted by bedtime reading.

About the author

Jonathan Warren

Jonathan Warren

Time4Sleep owner